In 1891 two Sisters began to travel by train every Sunday from St Mary’s Convent in Guildford Terrace to Petone to teach the local children about God. They met with about 90 children each week in a small hall.

When Sacred Heart Church opened in 1899, the Sisters’ Sunday school was taught in the Church.

A school was opened in 1904 and named Sacred Heart School. The Sisters of Mercy were invited to take charge of the school.

On the first day of school, the school building was not quite ready. So for the first two weeks of school, the children were taught outside.

The Sisters of Mercy spent many happy years teaching the children of Sacred Heart School.