The Sisters of Mercy decided it was important to set up a high school for girls in Dunedin. St Philomena’s College was opened in 1897. The Siter used one of the rooms in their convent as a classroom. On the first day there were just 4 students at the new College. At night the classroom was used as a bedroom for the Sisters.

As more girls came to St Philomena’s, there was not enough space in the convent so a new school had to be built.

In 1975 St Dominic’s College and St Philomena College merged and became one new school. This new school was called Moreau College. In 1989, Moreau College was closed and students were sent to Kavanagh College.