Sisters of Mercy were asked to teach at a new school which was opened in 1945 near the Geraldine Church. The local priest, Father Fogarty, transported children from outlying areas to school every day.

The Sisters lived and worked in the Geraldine community for 28 years – teaching in the school and teaching music, visiting the sick and dying, and supporting families.

The school was closed in 1973 when the school roll became too small.