St Joseph’s School in June Street and St Mary’s School in Kelvin Street

St Joseph’s School, in June Street, was opened in 1939.

The school had new classrooms added as more and more children came. However because of the new classrooms, there was only a small playground.

So in 1958 the Sisters set up a new school in Kelvin Street and called it St Mary’s School.

All new entrants in the Timaru North area went to St Mary’s and in 1970 St Joseph’s School merged with St Mary’s on Kelvin site and kept the name St Joseph’s Primary School.

The last Sisters of Mercy who taught at St Joseph’s School did so until 1992.