The Sisters opened a school in the Church in 1886. The Sisters who taught here had to travel to Brunner every day by train from Greymouth. In 1889 some new classrooms were finally built. However, when it became hard for people to find work, families began to move out of the area. By 1920, there were only 26 children attending the school, and so it was closed.