In 1879 the Sisters of Mercy opened a new school – for primary and secondary girls – in their new convent, St Columbkilles. The Sisters also provided music lessons, and lessons in drawing and painting.

As more children come to school at St Columbkilles, new classrooms were built.
However, over time the roll dropped and this school was closed in 1973.