St Patrick’s School was built in 1866. After the Sisters of Mercy had moved into a new convent in Greymouth called All Saints Convent in 1882, they took over the running of St Patrick’s School. This school was for boys and girls.

When the Sisters first took charge, the school had just one wooden building, which was divided into two classrooms by a glass partition.

After a number of years, the St Patricks School buildings had became very old, and so a new brick classroom block was built.

While Sisters of Mercy no longer teach at the school, St Patrick’s School is still providing a Catholic education for the children of Greymouth.