Bishop Grimes asked the Sisters of Mercy to set up a community in Ross to provide a Catholic education for the children who lived in the area. A house was bought on the corner of Bond Street and Park terrace, and made into a convent. A school was opened in the Sisters Convent in 1889. In 1909 a new school was built beside the convent. The school was closed in 1962.