St Joseph's School, takapuna

The first Catholic school in Takapuna was opened in 1849 and was actually called St Mary’s School.
The school was for children from the orphanage, children from settler families and children from the nearby Maori village.

The school closed in the 1860s, and the building was used as a seminary (a place where men train to become Priests).

In 1894 the school buildings and boys’ orphanage was handed over to the Sisters of Mercy and they opened ‘St Joseph’s Industrial School for Boys’. Over the years, new classrooms were built. From 1930, local boys and girls who did not live at the orphanage were also able to attend St Joseph’s School.