The Mercy sisters were asked to set up a Catholic school in Marton. A group of Wellington Sisters arrived in Marton in 1915.

There was no convent for them to live in, so the Parish Priest offered for them to live in his presbytery until a house was bought for the Sister.

The Sister began teaching in the Church, with a large green curtain screening the altar. This meant the Church was used as classrooms during the week, and was then turned back into a Church for Mass on Sunday.

A school was soon built on land near the Church and was opened in 1916. The new school was named St Matthew’s School.