The school had first opened 1853, and the Sisters took charge of the school in 1891.

Sister Bernard and Sister Alphonse were the first Sisters to teach at St Peter and Paul School.

Unfortunately, a fire destroyed the school. The local families fundraised for a new school to be built, which is where the school is now.

Sisters of Mercy travelled every day by train from St Mary’s Convent, Wellington, to teach at the school. They did this until 1909 when Sisters of the Mission replaced the Sisters of Mercy.