The Sisters of Mercy were asked to open a boarding school for primary school boys. These boys would then go on to attend St Bedes College. So, the Sisters bought a house on Windermere Road, Papanui, and opened Loreto Convent was in 1929.

Loreto College opened in 1930 with just 4 students. At first, the Sisters used a room in the convent for a classroom, but soon a new boarding school was built. As the roll grew, a new Chapel, a new gymnasium, and many more classrooms were built.

Over time, the number of student at Loreto College dropped, and the Sisters decided that any children still at Loreto College could attend one of the other Catholic Schools in the area. So, in December 1978 the Sisters closed Loreto College.