The Sisters of Mercy opened a convent and school in Akaroa in 1898. The classes were initially held in the Church. On the first day of term 43 children arrived at the school. Classes were taught in the Church for five years, until finally a school building was bought onto the site.

It was not until 1907 that a convent was built for the Sisters to live in.

A music room and school room was added to the convent. A small secondary school was conducted in the school room. The Sisters supported the running of the convent and school by providing boarding for some girls, and also music tuition. The school closed in 1969 and soon after that, the Sisters of Mercy left Akaroa.