Soon after the Sisters arrived in Christchurch, the Sisters moved into their new Convent, on the corner of Salisbury Street and Manchester Streets.

As well as some Sisters teaching at St Mary’s Parish School, they also opened St Mary’s College – teaching classes of girls in the largest room in their Convent.

The Sisters also opened a boys school in the Convent.

As the school grew more buildings were needed and a new Convent was also built in 1918.

The Sisters at St Mary’s College became well known for teaching music, and students came from all over Christchurch to learn to play instruments and for singing lessons.

The Sisters closed the primary part of the school in 1973.

In 1982 St Mary’s College merged with McKillop College to become Marian College.