As soon as the Sisters of Mercy had arrived in South Dunedin, they set to work teaching at St Patrick’s School. This school has been opened in 1880 by Dominican Sisters. However, the Dominican Sisters lived in central Dunedin and had to travel to St Patrick’s every day. Once the Sisters of Mercy had moved into the community, everyone agreed that it was a good idea for them to take over St Patrick’s School. The Sisters spent many years working at St Patrick’s School.